Skip to main content

Megan Does A 5K (and other notable things)

I have been a slacker lately. 
Well at least a slacker at blogging.
I have not been slacking in other areas.

I am starting at the end, if you will, with what happened this weekend, so we will work backwards.  It's my blog, I can do what I want.

This Saturday I did my first 5K.  Or well, I did my first 5K when I was worried about time (I have down the Race for the Cure before, but that was just a walk for me).

I didn't decide to the 5K until Monday.  I have been practicing and training for a 5K for 9 weeks.  If I didn't do it now, I wasn't going to do it.  As the week progressing and got colder and rainier, I grew more and more worried about this 5K.  First of all, I knew it was going to be hard enough to do this things in nice weather.  I had almost decided that if the weather did not cooperate I was just going to chalk this up as a loss and try again another day.

However, when Friday rolled around, I knew I had to set my alarm and get up and do it.  I knew that if I didn't I would keep making excuses and finding reasons not do to it.

My alarm went off and I had no trouble getting up.  I ate breakfast, laced up my shoes and got ready to head out the door.   And the sun was shining.  It was still cold, but there was no rain.  I checked in, got my stuff and got ready to go.  I was actually pretty proud of the race bib.

If I said it was easy, it would be a lie.  I thought I would jog more than I did.  I thought I'd jog most of it. I didn't.  I walked.  I walked a lot.  But I did jog.  I made small goals for myself, I'd jog from one stop sign to the next, or to the end of one song.  When I signed up, I said I wanted to finish in under 45 minutes.  I jogged across the finish line at 43 minutes and 15 seconds.  I know that's not a great time and it's slow, but I was proud.  I had never been more proud of myself.  I had a good time and I can't wait to do another one.

I have also started meeting with a trainer once a week.  I dread it pretty much all day but I am impressed with myself every time we meet.  I am impressed and proud with what I can do.

I bought my graduation dress when I was in Nashville.  It was a much smaller size that the dress I wore when i gradated with my Bachelor degree.  I am so excited to but my dress on and walk across the stage.  I may not lose the 40 pounds I wanted to lose before graduation (I'm not sure I haven't been on a scale in a few days and I''m not going to get on one for a few more days), but I am going to look a whole lot better than I did when I started.

Photo: Before my first 5k. 13 minutes left to start time.
Getting ready to run!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get some things straight

First thing's first, don't think I will type something every day, I won't. Secondly, apparently some folks think I am not happy.  That is totally not the case.  I know I did at one point in my post last night refer to this point in my life as a "season of sadness".  I did not mean necessarily mean I am sad and you should feel sorry for me (or offer up your advice on finding a man).  This year has sucked.  And it has nothing to do with a man. I am content as I am.  It took me 30 years to like myself and the person I am and I will not start feeling sorry for myself again.  Yes, there are times it would be nice to have a man.  It would be nice to have a relationship, someone to spend time with, and someone to share life with.  However, I know what I want.  I know what I don't.  And I know what I will not settle for. I will not settle for less than what I want or less than what I deserve.  I would rather be alone and unhappy than in a relationship and mi

Motivation Monday

This a story of two very different girls. This is the first girl... Hot Springs 2012 Nashville July 2012 CMA Fest June 2012 Nashville 2012 July 2012 Christmas 2012 She is 26 years old and is a third grade teacher.  She enjoys buying shoes, going out to eat, going to musicals and going to Nashville (a lot).  She has a pretty good life.  She drives a sweet red Mustang (with pink interior lights) and has the best friends a girl could want.  She is a funny girl and has big dreams.  She believes your only as old as you feel and she still feels like a kid.  She loves pink and sparkly things.  She never meets a stranger and could talk to anybody. But that is what she wants you to see.  She wants you to see her with a smile on her face and she wants to see all the fun she has.  She doesn't want you to know that inside, she isn't happy.  She isn't satisfied and she is disgusted with herself.  She knows something has got to give.  She is tired of feel

So Are You A Fly Strip For Dysfunctional Men?

I think back to the Fourth of July weekend of this year.  Allison and I went to the lake with Britni and her family.  As we were living Greers Ferry we stopped at Large Mouth Pizza.  Almost right about the table we were sitting at was fly paper.  You know the sticky strip of paper flies get caught in?  I now know more than I probably should about them fly paper.  You pull this sticky paper out of a little canister and it hangs from the ceiling.  There this sticky stuff that will stay sticky despite exposure to the air and whatnot.  There's this stuff on there that attracts the flies and once they touch they paper, they're stuck.  There's also poison on the strip that kills the fly, but that doesn't really work for the analogy I'm about to use.  I'm not really sure how I find the guys I do.  But if they have a tick, bad habit, disorder, something like that I will find them, or well they will find me.  Apparently I'm like fly paper.  I apparently attract t