Skip to main content

It Could Be Worse.

Reasons To Be Single.

  • Freedom.  When it's just you, you can do what you want.  If you want to pack up and go to New York City, great.  You always dreamed of being a cowboy, move out west.  You want to move to Florida, buy that little silver building and open a karaoke bar, start saving your money.  The world is your oyster.  You have no other person telling you what to do with your money and time.  You have no one else to worry about.
  • Control of the Remote.  I am not sure why men think it's their right to have the remote control in their hand.  My dad always controlled the remote at home.  The guys I have dated think they control it to, even at my house.  If I want to watch Sex and the City, I can do so without listening to the whining from a man.  If I want to watch Glee on Tuesday, I don't have to listen to someone telling me how stupid it is.  I do not want to watch baseball, it's boring.  I do not want to watch basketball, I hate it.  I do not want to watch Westerns, although it's perfect nap time.  Being single, I don't have to act like I enjoy those things.
  • I'm Just Me.  When you start getting serious with someone, you lose your own identity.  You are no longer "Megan".  You become "Megan and .....".  It's not "oh where's Megan?", it's "where's Megan and .......".  When I was dating Shannon, some people actually didn't even refer to me as Megan.  I was "Shannon's girlfriend".  Really?  You also become "we" and not I.  You have no opinion of your own.  "We haven't seen that movie", "we don't like that Chinese food".  "We will be late"..  Being single I have my own identity and my own opinions. It's all about me, "I haven't seen that movie."  "I love Chinese food."  "I am on my way!" 
  • Flirting.  Flirting is fun.  When you go to dinner and you see that guy in the corner looking at you and smiling it makes you feel good.  Smiling at the stranger at the next gas pump is fun.  If you're tied down, it's probably not a good idea to flirt with that guy sitting at the next table.
  • My Money Is Mine!  "Do you really need another pair of shoes?"  Why, yes!  Yes I do!  Who cares if I have 80 other pairs, I need those!  I can buy what I want, when I want.  If I want to buy shoes I can.  If I want to have a drink with dinner, I can.  I don't have to listen to "water is free".
  • You Can Have Friends.  Every boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband will say "go ahead" when you ask if they care if you go out with your friends.  But we all know we'll get about 50 text and 10 calls asking what you are doing, where you are at and who is all there.  I actually believe one of my boyfriends was jealous of the time I spent with my best friend.  Now that I'm single my friend and I can go to as many concerts, trips, and shopping sprees as we want and not be bothered by my phone going off every ten minutes.
  • Nobody gets hurt.  Let's face it, (hopefully) only one of your relationships will end in marriage, the rest will end up with somebody hurt.  It may be you, or it may be the other person, or maybe both of you.  When people get married they say it's worth it when you find the one you're supposed to be with.  Being single, my biggest heartache is when Gearhead doesn't have the Toms I want in my size, and I can always order online.  
  • You Find Out Who You Are.  I almost feel sorry for those girls that got married straight out of high school.  Who knows who the are at 18?  I am a completely different person than I was in high school.  When you're single you have all the time in the world to discover who you are.  You get to know who you are on your own.  There is no other person to tell you who they want to be.  If you want to take up painting, you can paint.  You can paint all day.  You can read about painting.  Go to museums and look at paintings.  Go to an art class.  You can be the person you want to.
There are downfalls to being single.  It is nice to have someone there when you need them.  It's nice to have a hand to hold.  I do miss having someone there, but while I'm on this journey of singlehood, I may as well enjoy the ride!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get some things straight

First thing's first, don't think I will type something every day, I won't. Secondly, apparently some folks think I am not happy.  That is totally not the case.  I know I did at one point in my post last night refer to this point in my life as a "season of sadness".  I did not mean necessarily mean I am sad and you should feel sorry for me (or offer up your advice on finding a man).  This year has sucked.  And it has nothing to do with a man. I am content as I am.  It took me 30 years to like myself and the person I am and I will not start feeling sorry for myself again.  Yes, there are times it would be nice to have a man.  It would be nice to have a relationship, someone to spend time with, and someone to share life with.  However, I know what I want.  I know what I don't.  And I know what I will not settle for. I will not settle for less than what I want or less than what I deserve.  I would rather be alone and unhappy than in a relationship and mi

Motivation Monday

This a story of two very different girls. This is the first girl... Hot Springs 2012 Nashville July 2012 CMA Fest June 2012 Nashville 2012 July 2012 Christmas 2012 She is 26 years old and is a third grade teacher.  She enjoys buying shoes, going out to eat, going to musicals and going to Nashville (a lot).  She has a pretty good life.  She drives a sweet red Mustang (with pink interior lights) and has the best friends a girl could want.  She is a funny girl and has big dreams.  She believes your only as old as you feel and she still feels like a kid.  She loves pink and sparkly things.  She never meets a stranger and could talk to anybody. But that is what she wants you to see.  She wants you to see her with a smile on her face and she wants to see all the fun she has.  She doesn't want you to know that inside, she isn't happy.  She isn't satisfied and she is disgusted with herself.  She knows something has got to give.  She is tired of feel

Link Up

Finish The Sentence With Jake & Holly Hey!  I've never done a link up before but I thought, why not.  My page sucks and I'm almost embarrassed to link up and have some really cool "professional" type bloggers look at it, but oh well.  Make fun if you want, I'm a stressed out teacher, that hasn't even had time to blog in ages. Anyways I read these link up things all the time, always wanted to join in the fun.  This one looked fun...so here it goes.  I hope I don't suck.  BTW, I'm such I loser I don't know how to link up right, sorry I'm a failure My happy place... Walking down Broadway in Nashville, TN.  I love all the live music you can hear from every honky tonk.  Or at a musical.... Or at a live concert... Or the beach...  Pretty much if you get my out of the house or work I'm friggin' happy. Whatever happened to... Andrew Keegan.  I may google that later.  (and yes the Full House song popped in my head too)